We started out by wrapping the tips of 18 gauge wire with strips of yellow crepe paper to form the carpels of the the flowers.
Next, we cut out the tiny inner pieces that cover the carpels out of contrasting doublette crepe paper. (Sorry I don’t know the correct botanical terminology for the parts of the orchid!) I chose a deep orange color for mine. We then glued these pieces around each carpel.
Next, we cut out the five petals of each flower from a lighter, contrasting color of doublette crepe and glued them on around the centers. I chose white for my petals.
The petals were slightly curled back to give them a more life-like appearance.
We made an orchid bud by first taking a piece of Kleenex tissue and balling it up to form the center. Then we cut three small petals out of light green florist crepe and glued them around the tissue center, working the edges to tamp the petals down so that the tissue was covered up. We cut three more small petals and glued them around the inner petals to complete the bud.
Lynn melted some wax to let those of us who wanted, dip our flowers for a translucent effect. I decided to dip just my bud, but not the open flowers.
We then wrapped the stems of each of the flowers and bud with strips of dark green crepe and wrapped them together to form a single stem of three orchids and a bud.
Next, we cut four long leaves out of green florist crepe. Each leaf was composed of a single cut-out of crepe. We wrapped a piece of 22-gauge floral wire with a strip of crepe and glued it onto the center of each leaf for the leaf stem.
We brushed the tops of the leaves with glossy Mod Podge to give them that signature sheen.
Lynn gave each student a small terra cotta flower pot that she had stuck a dome of styrofoam, cut from a styrofoam ball, into. We cut out small pieces of faux greenery from a large sheet and glued them onto the styrofoam.
I think for the future, when I do this, I will try felting green wool roving onto the styrofoam instead, for a different look.
After the leaves dried, we bent them back to give them a slight curl. We wrapped the leaves, two at a time, to the main orchid stem with more strips of crepe.
Next, we made the roots for our plant by wrapping three pieces of 22-gauge floral wire with strips of gray florist crepe.
After all the wrapping was done, we curled each root into curlicue shapes.
Finally, we stuck the stem of flowers and the roots into the pot to complete our potted orchids.
Close-up of my orchids:
My mom and a number of my friends love orchids, so this would make a nice handmade gift for them.