In my last post, I shared part one of my recent crepe paper flower class at Castle in the Air with Lynn Dolan, in which we learned how to make a tree peony. Today I share with you part two of that class, in which we learned to make a poppy.
Okay, I am so not a gardener/botanist/horticulturalist, what-have-you. I only knew poppies to be red (especially since I have a Marimekko red poppy print duvet on my bed right at this moment) and didn’t realize they come in different colors. Well, duh! Anyway, once I found that out, I decided to make a non-red poppy :0)
We started out by gluing a 1-1/2 inch spun cotton ball to 18 gauge floral wire to make the poppy pod.
We then lightly covered the ball with craft glue and wrapped a square piece of (kiwi colored) florist crepe paper around it, tamping down the crepe all around the ball of cotton.
After the glue had dried a bit, we squeezed the top and sides of the wrapped cotton ball to form the squarish marshmallow shape of the poppy pod.
We then cut out a strip of (light lavender) florist crepe against the grain, approximately 12 inches long by 2 inches high and lightly stretched it before cutting out fringe three-fourths of the way down, going with the grain, all along the length of the crepe to make the stamens.
As I had done for my tree peony, I decided to twist the fringe between my fingers to give my stamens a more rounded shape.
We then wrapped the strip of fringe around the base of the covered cotton ball, adding glue periodically to the uncut bottom of the strip to adhere it.
Next came the petals. I chose lilac crepe for my petals. We cut out 4 to 6 rectangles of fine crepe paper – I cut out six – , approximately 5 to 6 inches long and 3-3/4 inches high, with the grain running up and down. We cut the top two corners of each petal, rounding them as we made the cuts.
Next came the dyeing of the petals. Instead of chalk pastel, we used alcohol ink to dye the centers of our petals.
The bottle of ink had a fine tip that we ran along the bottom edge of each petal. The crepe paper immediately soaked up the ink. Sure beats coloring with chalk!
As easy as it was for the dye to seep through the paper, it was just as easy to spill excess ink where it didn’t belong, like I did on this petal:
(As you will see later, I did not dye my petals up far enough. If I were to do this again, I would be sure to let that dye run up the petals further!)
We then dotted glue along the base of each petal
and pleated and gathered the crepe to create a tapered end.
Next, we glued each petal to the base of the stamen fringe. The key was gluing them as high up along the fringe as possible. For a six-petaled poppy, we glued three petals on the inner layer and three on the outer.
Remember how I said I didn’t dye my petals up far enough? Notice that you can hardly see the dyed parts of the petals in the preceding photo.
Then came the wrapping. We wrapped the base of the petals and the stem with a strip of sage green florist crepe.
Notice how the color of the dye seeped through to the outside of the petals, like in a real poppy:
Next, we made the cap for the poppy pod out of florist crepe by cutting a small strip of crepe, 1-1/2 to 2 inches long and about 1/2 inch high. We glued the ends together to form a closed loop, and flattened it into a pleated disk.
We trimmed the disk to create a razor-like edge.
Interestingly, Lynn told us using a pinking sheer to trim the cap would not work, due to the pleats in the crepe paper, so we had to use fine tipped scissors instead.
For ease of gluing the disk onto the pod, we first glued it onto a smaller round of crepe paper and then glued the entire piece to the top of the poppy pod.
Finally, it was time for the leaf – yes, there was only one leaf to make! Like we did for the rose and the tree peony, we bias cut two triangles out of the sage green crepe paper and laid them on top of one another, lining up the grain.
We glued the long edges together and allowed the glue to dry before lining up the half leaf template along the glued edges and cutting out the leaf.
We glued a piece of 24 gauge floral wire that we had wrapped with a strip of sage florist crepe onto the center of the leaf.
We wrapped the stem of the leaf to the stem of the poppy, about halfway down the poppy stem.
My completed poppy:
With six petals, a fast dye job, no calyx, and a single leaf, this was by far the easiest crepe paper flower I’ve made to date!
A big “thank you” again to Lynn!
If you’ve always wanted to try your hand at making flowers out of crepe paper, but were intimidated by the process, this poppy may be just what you need to get your feet wet! Let me know if you do try making it. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to leave me a comment :0)